To show them they CAN read, we focus on using pictures to help us understand the words. I hand them a book and tell them to just tell me about the pictures. Then, while talking about the pictures, I tell them "Look, you CAN READ! Good readers ALWAYS look at the pictures, and that's exactly what you're doing!" It's an instant confidence booster :)
These decodable books are perfect for this, as well as making text-to-self connections with topics such as ~ environmental print, technology, nursery rhymes, and their awesome school supplies.
Here is a look at some decodable books great for emergent readers.
The pages have pictures to match the word - supporting readers as they look to the pictures for help when stuck on a word.
After reading the book, students then complete a sight word hunt on the last page; circling the focus sight word found throughout the story.
**See what others have said about these printable books for beginning readers**
- A great early literacy resource! (Anita B)
- Thank you! Perfect for my kinders! (Buyer)
- Very useful! (Lisa W.)
- What a great early emergent book for the level A readers in my kindergarten class to put in their book boxes for daily independent reading! (Laurie C.)
- Loved it! Thanks! (Melanie W.)
- Love it! So did my kids! (Tamara F.)
- Great fun for our fitness lessons (Sara D)
- Thanks for the great product! Students love these. (Melinda B)
- Used with my K kids. We acted out a page. They underlined a word and at end of class they took book home. Great tie-in to classroom! (Tracy W.)